Friday, January 16, 2009

Simplicity: More complicated than it sounds


In my January 9th post I mentioned that I've been reviewing books for BookPleasures.com ( a neat web site, if you enjoy browsing). As a fiction junkie, I feel like a kid in a candy store; every day notices come of new books waiting to be reviewed!

Last week I had the pleasure of reading "The Violin Diary," by Eric Norcross. It's a sad, but uplifting, love story that takes place over a few months time. What's striking about it is the simplicity and straightforwardness with which it is told. A few simple sentences, snippets of dialogue, minimal description - and we know everything. As one who "over-writes" everything (if you've been reading the blog, you already know that), I was so impressed by the power of sparseness of expression. This book will be in the back of my mind as I edit every new piece of work I write for some time to come. I think Eric Norcross' book will do well. It deserves to. If you'd like to see my complete review, visit http://www.bookpleasures.com/websitepublisher/authors/29/Persis-Granger. You'll see a line about the book, and will need to click on a link at the bottom that says "Full Story."

Anyway, back to simplicity. This is more than a talk about writing. My reading of "The Violin Diary" coincides with a crusade my husband launched to clean up our house. Packrats extraordinaire, we have amassed piles of "stuff." I sometimes have nightmares of our being on one of those reality tv shows, where the EMTs burst in to rescue us and someone comments on the squirrely old people who are buried in all this junk.

And we are. It rules our lives. We have no room to breathe. Or think. But knowing we need to change and accomplishing it are two different things. Old habits do die hard. Watch this blog for developments. My next review is going to be on the book titled, "Your Spacious Self," by Stephanie Bennett Vogt. The publicity blurb said it can help readers de-clutter their lives. Its category is designated as "spiritual self-help." I'm ready. As soon as it arrives, I'll be reading, and I'll let you know how it goes. I hope this one is not fiction.

Have a simply wonderful day-
Perky

3 comments:

  1. Simplicity is one of the most difficult talents to get down, in regards to writing. I remember always being told to explain everything, because the general public is just "dumb." But I don't think this is one bit true, I think that there a plenty of smart people out there and if your simple statement is written well enough - well, they'll get the point. The subject of simplicity in writing should have its own college course - because once you master simplicity, you master writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being included in this blog of simplicity has been my favorite type of recognition thus far.

    Love it. I added a link to this from my company site.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best authors simplify. Has anyone here read A Moveable Feast?

    ReplyDelete