Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Learning the Nuts and Bolts of Blogdom: Rookie Posts a Comment

Several readers have contacted me to say that they had tried to leave a comment but had been unable, or were not sure if they had succeeded. In a couple of cases I know they did not succeed. So, as a newcomer to Blogdom, I decided to try commenting myself, to see if I could figure it out and perhaps pass along secrets for success.

First challenge: How to access the option. I clicked on the link that said "(#) Comments."

Second challenge: Select "Post a Comment."

Third challenge: Figure out what they mean by "Comment as." I hit the drop-down menu and had no clue. I finally selected "Name/URL" and entered information in both blanks, but I'll bet I could have just entered my name. Presto! I was in and typing my comment.

Next to preview it to see how many typos there were and correct them. I am such a bad typist.

Next challenge - how to get back to the screen where I could edit. Couldn't find a button there, but the browser back arrow did the trick.

Next - Corrections made, final sentences written, I hit "Post Comment" on the lower left.

Supposedly last - I clicked, and nothing seemed to happen. I did this a couple of times. Finally a security code popped up (the strangely shaped random letters and numbers you have to copy into a window to prove you are a real person, not a SPAM-bot). I had to go through two security codes (as I said, I'm a terrible typist) before I finally got the prize - a message that said I had successfully posted a comment. I'm sure it gets easier over time.... If you've had trouble posting comments, I hope this works for you. I'd enjoy hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment